Region 5 is launching a Regional Initiative to support summer learning recovery in conjunction with Summer Learning and Enrichment Collaborative announced in March 2021 by the U.S. Department of Education (ED). ED hosted the National Safe School Reopening Summit and announced the launch of the The Collaborative, a partnership between the Comprehensive Center Network, the Council of Chief State School Officers, and the National Governors Association, launched in April 2021 to help states use American Rescue Plan (ARP) funding, “An Unparalleled Investment in U.S. Public Education,” to develop high-quality summer learning and enrichment programs for all students.
To support states and school districts, the National Comprehensive Center Network is leading the Summer Learning & Enrichment Collaborative (“The Collaborative”). This professional learning community brings together relevant stakeholders to help states use more than $1.2 billion of the American Rescue Plan (ARP) funding to build evidence-based summer programs. The Collaborative website includes resources to support summer learning and accelerated learning. It also provides multimedia toolkits on learning recovery:
Organizations that have developed resources to support these efforts include:
- National Governors Association (NGA) analyzed state efforts to accelerate student learning this summer and provides an overview of strategies in State Plans for Accelerating Student learning: A Preliminary Analysis.
- Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) released 2021 Summer Learning & Enrichment: State Guidance for District & School Leaders which provides resources and considerations based on evidence-based, best practices for summer learning and closing learning gaps.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that released updated Guidance for Operating Youth and Summer Camps During COVID-19 and Operational Strategy for K-12 Schools through Phased Prevention.
- Learning Policy Institute is providing an Accelerating Learning webinar series, to provide research on effective accelerated learning practices and examples from a diverse group of districts. Webinars in the series are:
- April 20 | Accelerating Learning: High-Quality Tutoring Strategies
- May 4 | Accelerating Learning: Best Practices for Expanded Learning Time
- May 18 | Accelerating Learning: Using Assessments to Determine Student Needs
- June 1 | Accelerating Learning: Equity-Centered Strategies to Support Student Learning
- EdResearch for Recovery | Annenberg Institute at Brown University taps top researchers from across the country to provide evidence briefs on recovery strategies to address questions from policymakers and practitioners. Recent releases include:
Other briefs address student learning, school climate, supporting all students, teachers and leaders, finance and operations. The Annenberg Institute at Brown University and Results for America release new evidence briefs as soon as they are completed. Sign up to receive future updates by email.
For more information on the Summer Learning & Enrichment Collaborative (“The Collaborative”) and support implementing recommendations, contact the Region 5 Comprehensive Center or join the Region 5 Comprehensive Center Regional Initiative.